Preparing for Your Newborn Session
This is meant to be a helpful list, not a strict set of rules. These suggestions will help your session go as smoothly as possible so your newborn photos will be the best they can be.
1. Don’t worry too much about keeping baby awake prior to the session. If s/he gets overly tired then we may have a fussy baby during the session. We’ll have lots of time for capturing sleepy poses.
2. Bring extra formula or milk if you bottle feed. You may be surprised how much your baby will eat during a session. Even if you nurse, but are okay with baby taking a bottle, please bring one just in case. It can be helpful if I'm able to help feed baby during the session. Some babies will want to comfort suck on mom, which can limit the actual shooting time.
3. If you live quite close to the studio (10-15 mins) or if you've booked a Simple Session, please give baby a full feeding before leaving the house. If you booked a full session and/or live far from the studio, try to time it so baby can have a full feeding upon arrival at the studio. We will have lots of time!
4. Give a diaper change right before you leave the house. A loose fitting diaper will help prevent skin creasing and redness. Dress baby in clothing that can be buttoned or zipped to avoid pulling a tight neckline over the head in case s/he is sleeping when you arrive.
5. Don't forget the pacifier. Sometimes babies just want to suck, even after they are fed. For a successful portrait session, it's important to have a calm and soothed baby so a pacifier can help a lot, even if only used for a few seconds. If used, it will be removed immediately once baby calms. I do have some new ones on hand just in case.
6. If you're nursing, try to avoid spicy food and caffeine for at least 24 hours prior to your session as it can affect baby. Some babies are sensitive to lactose and soy so if you can stay away from those as well, I definitely recommend it.
7. Consider trimming baby's nails if they are raggedy. You may be tempted to put lotion, cream or oil on baby's skin if s/he has flakes but please don’t do this. The skin may reflect light and shiny skin doesn’t photograph well. I can easily edit flakes but shine can be time consuming to edit.
8. My studio is quite warm in order to help the babies stay sleepy. I'll have a heater going through the session so be sure to dress in layers if you tend to get hot.
9. If you've booked a deluxe package with sibling posing, I recommend that younger children remain at the studio only while they are being photographed. Sibling posing will be completed in the first or last hour of the session, so you may arrange to have children picked up and dropped off accordingly. Of course, children are welcome to remain at the studio if this is what you prefer or if it’s more convenient.
10. For parent, sibling or family portraits: I recommend wearing (or bringing) solid colored, neutral or earth toned items that coordinate with each other, but don't match exactly. If you want, bring a few options (one long sleeve, one short sleeve, one tank, etc) and try to avoid collars, prints, logos and bright colors. I can help you choose what will be most suitable if you're unsure. The simpler, the better as we want the focus to be on baby and the family, not distracting clothing. It's always a good idea for parents to bring an extra shirt if you'd like photos of yourselves holding your baby naked. If a sibling wears a skirt or dress, be sure to have leggings or tights covering underwear to ensure they won't show. Parents will be photographed from the waist up.
11. For boys who will be circumcised, it's best to either schedule the procedure for after the portrait session, or allow at least 4-5 days between the procedure and the session. We don't want baby being uncomfortable. If the session takes place too soon afterwards, the diaper may have to remain on and posing options may be limited.
12. Please try to arrive on time. If you know you will be late, call or text as soon as possible to let me know. If you are late, it may cut into your session time.
If there's anything I've forgotten or something you're unsure of please contact me here. I can't wait to meet your new baby!